28.1.07

Let us begin.


This is it, the first one. Not quite sure how to begin. I guess it really began when I was but a wee lad. I would help my Dad build things and renovate the house I grew up in. I guess I was a natural but didn't think I would make a career out of it.


Fly ahead 20 some years, and I have been a volunteer on many green building projects, have worked on the construction of over 25 houses green and non-green and have renovated or aided in the renovation of 12+ houses. Recently I completed my apprenticeship and became a certified electrician and although I don't see myself as a career electrician, it is a skill when added to the ones I have already, further deepens my view of the house as a whole system.

My partner Kata and I are currently in the process of renovating our own house. We are in the process of taking this 100+ year old farmhouse and using it as a showcase for our own collection of green ideas. The house shown here (for now) has a face that only parents could love but will soon get a lift once the cold weather leaves.
We have many ideas for what this house will include: solar hot water, masonry stoves, earthen floors, strawbale insulation, home-made paints, and lots of salvaged materials and re-use just to name a few things. This house is the focal point for the start of our farm but I'll talk more about that later. For now this will mainly be about the renovation and perhaps other projects Terra Construction is working on. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.